Last year I had the chance to spend 6 weeks all over India. The country is an experience like none other. The sights, sounds, smells and feeling of the place can put all of your senses into overload compared to most countries. So many things are always happening right in front of you and I loved it.
One thing that really makes the unique experience of India is how everything happens outside. Everybody is constantly outside living their lives. People bathing and brushing their teeth by the street water pumps, street barbers cutting hair on every other block, food and shop stands lining every street, and children running everywhere you look. Life is all around you.
The constant chaos in much of India makes for great Street Photography opportunities too. There’s never a lack of people, sights, moments, action, color or anything else you’d want to capture. Everywhere you look it seems like there’s a photo to be made.
Here’s 33 Street Photography photos I took in my spare time around India.
1. A rickshaw puller out early in the morning2. Street herding in the morning3. Rickshaws fill the streets
4. A taxi driver in a line of Kolkata’s ambassador taxis
5. Family, Food and Chai6. Watering bags of leaves outside the Mallick Ghat Flower Market7. Pulled rickshaw parked at the street corner store8. A taxi driver waiting for his next customer9. A man and his baby goat in the streets of Kolkata
10. A line of boys walk the ghats of Varanasi
11. A young business man works his candy shop12. A man and cow together in the narrow alleys of Varanasi13. A man and cow in the narrow alleys of Varanasi14. A woman hangs up her laundry to dry at sunrise after washing it in the river
15. Early morning at the steps of the river16. A couple, three dogs and plenty of colorful steps
17. A smoke and a haircut18. A pink beard for the Holi festival19. A rickshaw driver waiting outside the New Delhi train station20. Orange turbans and blue trains21. Feet up on the train22. Sunlight
23. Morning prayer at the shop
24. Day dreaming in Bundi
25. Colorful clothing in Udaipur26. Spices in Jodhpur
27. Turban wrapping is not a short task
28. A woman and goat in almost mirror images of each other
29. Hanging shirts up to dry at the largest laundry in the world30. Car horns for sale31. A street barber at work32. Someone saw me from far away…33. A couple enjoying the beauty of Marine Drive
Hopefully some of these photos make you add India to your list. Honestly, I don’t know if there’s any place I’ve been that I’d recommend more than India for experiencing and photographing. It’s not the easiest place in the world to travel around and can be an exhausting place at times, but everything else about India more than makes up for it.
Have you photographed India before or do you plan on it someday? Let me know about it in the comments below!