Week Long Havana Street Photography Workshop
A week long street photography workshop in Havana, Cuba on November 19-25, 2017. The workshop will be led by myself, Forrest Walker (aka f.d. walker).
On this week long workshop, you’ll be able to capture many areas of Havana that others don’t, while challenging yourself to improve your street photography in a variety of ways. This will be an intensive and highly involved workshop led by someone who’s photographed over 60 major cities across the world inside and out. Still, Havana stays at the top of my list for street photography and I’ve spent countless hours exploring its endless streets of interest over the years. With a 4 participant max on the workshop, you’ll be able to get the most out of our time together, all week long in Havana, Cuba.
Forrest Walker is an award-winning photographer who has been exhibited and published around the world. He is also a member of The Street Collective and sole creator of ShooterFiles.com, where he is currently photographing over 100 major cities across all major regions for his website and future book.
Havana is no secret destination for photographers, but most don’t see all that it contains. On this workshop, we will include plenty of venturing outside of Havana Vieja too, so you can really capture the variety of what makes Havana so special.
Experiencing and capturing a variety of the city, as we will, is also designed to help maximize your improvement and learning in street photography. You will be challenged, while seeing more and having more opportunities to reach your goals during the workshop.
This will be an intensive, but highly enjoyable workshop experience that includes a mixture of daily photo walks, photo critiques, portfolio reviews, interactive lessons, activities and discussions. There will be a lot of walking and photography, with myself fully involved each step of the way to make sure you get the most out of your week. You will be able to fully immerse yourself into the city through street photography, so you can learn more, photograph more and have a great time experiencing Havana.
- The daily schedule is a minimum, but I will be available at all times during the week. We will have opportunity for more involvement, activities and learning outside of the scheduled time.
- There will be extensive photo walks every day after Sunday. During the walks, we will cover a variety of instructions along with a mixture of group, paired and solo walking. You will have a chance to see how I work and learn from myself, while also having plenty of opportunity to shoot on your own. I will take you to many parts of the city to fully experience Havana and provide you more opportunity for unique photos.
- Mixed in with the daily walks, we will also have time for daily presentations, instructions and photo critiques. Slideshows, group discussions, techniques and continual feedback will also be included.
- The main focus of the workshop is street photography, with some crossover into documentary and travel. Candid and un-posed is the aesthetic I will be most looking for in course instructions and discussions, while you are free to take posed shots for personal enjoyment.
- Before the workshop, we will have time to discuss your interests in photography, what you would like to get out of the workshop, along with a portfolio review. I can also help with arrangements on a place to stay, as I’d prefer for us all to stay together so you can get the most out of the workshop and experience (You are welcome to choose your own lodging, though. Preferably, around Centro Havana).
- Workshop is limited to a small group of 4 to provide individual attention and a better, more valuable experience.
- A variety of planned street photography walks providing a wide view of photo opportunities and exploration in the amazing city of Havana.
- Opportunities for 1-on-1 shooting with myself to provide you constant feedback, tips, guidance, and allow you to observe how I work. I will also mix up activities and photography assignments to give you a chance to work on your photography without distraction.
- An instructor that knows Havana and will show you a variety of the city that most visitors don’t see. My experience in photographing over 60 major cities on foot, while going deeper and off the beaten path, will give you an opportunity to get to know the city better and capture more unique shots.
- Improvement in different techniques, understanding light, learning to see more and being comfortable capturing the shots you want to make.
- Multiple educational and inspirational lessons covering different aspects of street photography.
- An initial portfolio review followed by daily critiques of your photos taken during the workshop. I want you to follow your own interests and vision so I will be working with you to improve towards your personal goals in photography instead of boxing you in.
- Constant access to myself, including outside of the workshop’s scheduled time.
- Activities planned to give time for bonding with other photographers. A memorable experience not only improving your street photography, but also enjoying one of the world’s most amazing cities for street photography.
- The workshop fee covers not only the time during the workshop schedule below, but also the time spent on workshop preparation with each individual, and any time needed outside of the daily schedule while in Havana.
November 19th-25th, 2017 (Sunday-Saturday/7 days)
9 AM- 6 PM (Sunday starts at 1pm)
- Each day will include planned photo walks in many parts of Havana.
- Each day will include photo critiques and discussions from the day.
- Most days will include instruction time, which includes a mixture of lessons, slideshows and activities.
- Spending time together outside the scheduled time is encouraged, but not mandatory. I will be available throughout the week.
Requirements: Basic skill in camera technique is required for this workshop. In addition to your camera, please bring a laptop. Extra camera batteries and good shoes/sandals are highly recommended, as well.
Fee: €750 EUR per person
*4 participant max
For questions or to reserve a spot in the Workshop, please submit through the form below:
(Direct email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
*€250 deposit is required to register and hold a spot.
**Second payment of €250 is due by October 31st, with the final payment of €250 to be received 7 days prior to the start of the workshop.
Thanks for checking these details out and I hope some of you can join me this November. I’m really look forward to this workshop, nothing compares to Havana!
Some work from Havana:
From my series, Havana Colors…
More work from outside of Havana: